Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Menzies, Australian & International Fine Art, auction preview






Just took a look at the Melbourne viewing for this auction which occurs on march 25th 2010. I LOVE auction viewings- all that great art, some never seen before and never to be seen again, all for FREE (that is unless one accidentally buys something) and this was one of the best I have seen.

The picture getting all the publicity was Sydney Nolan's First-Class Marksman 1946, estimated at 3-5 million dollars. My 4 year old son loves Sydney Nolan and is saving hard.

I was more impressed I must admit by some of the other work. Have never been all that interested in John Perceval but the two major pictures on display are brilliant, reminding me of French impressionist masterpieces. In addition there are 5 Jeffrey Smart paintings, a superb Lin Onus which I would buy in a heartbeat if remotely able, and two big canvases by Bill Whiskey Tjapaltjarri and Tommy Watson.

General amusement was provided by Hazel Dooney's Ever-Ready (Fresh Out of Bed) 1998, and a John Kelly painting of an overall-wearing person rummaging inside a half zebra.
Highly recommended..

No comments:

Post a Comment