Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Thursday, March 18, 2010

In memory of Bill Whiskey (1920-2008)


The first time I saw his work (In the window of Japingka gallery in Fremantle) I crossed a busy street with an infant in a stroller to get a better look. And I wasn't disappointed..

Its difficult to believe he only started painting at the age of 85.

All of his paintings represent the rockholes and country around Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and tell the dreaming story of a white cockatoo who fought with a black crow. The white dots are supposed to represent the cockatoo's feathers, the roundels are the local waterholes or the marks made on the landscape during the fight. Linear designs on the painting are tracks or dry creekbeds.

Aside from that, important as it is, this is just brilliant art.



No comments:

Post a Comment