Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Margaret Preston- my hero!




 In cataloguing my favorite Australian artists, I have realised there has been one glaring omission; Margaret Preston.

I have been reading a book about her woodblock prints and was fascinated to read about her life. Born in Adelaide, South Australia in 1875 she decided to become an artist at an early age and trained under Frederick McCubbin and others, soon producing still life pictures of great fidelity. By the age of 28 both of her parents had passed away and as the sole beneficiary of the will she was able to save, then travel to Munich, then Paris in 1904 where she had some success before returning to Australia.

Her images, especially the woodblock prints are iconic, and amongst the first to really value the local flora, sometimes with Australian aboriginal motifs included. I love her banksias and gum blossoms especially, but most of all her design and composition which just "hits the spot"- balanced, pleasing, strong and simple.








No comments:

Post a Comment