Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Art Melbourne May 2011

Alberto Sanchez
Had a look on friday the 20th. Having been to the last couple of affordable art fairs, I can say there were a few contrasts, which may reflect the current trend towards saving, not spending.

Firstly it looked alot quieter than on my previous visits, and this was confirmed by a couple stallholders. Secondly I felt it was harder to find good quality art- some of the work looked as if one good idea had been discovered, then mass produced and from my perspective was frankly uninteresting. Others appeared be populated by artists who turn out on further investigation to exhibit at affordable art fairs worldwide! However there were a few stands that stood out. I suppose that with an emphasis on "blue dot" works for under $1000, one can hardly expect an artist to be selling their soul.

Good solutions included selling smaller works, prints, or works by really new, emerging artists, or alternatively just displaying good quality work for much more than $1000. Some of the aboriginal art centres were represented in a series of small stands collectively called "Reach".

One really interesting stand was by "69 Smith st Gallery", an artist run initiative based in Fitzroy, in which artists pay a joining fee to rent the space and then an additional fee to hold an exhibition at pretty affordable rates. I like this egalitarian approach and their work was interesting, original and varied.

I have photographed some of my favorite pictures.. 




Willy Rojas

Emma Hack- body art stand

Emma Hack- detail

Joel Rea

Warlukurlangu in "reach"

69 Smith st Gallery

Will & Caro

Will and Caro- detail



No comments:

Post a Comment