Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Maringka Baker







I really love this artist's work. She is another member of my favorite art centre, Tjungu Palya, in the remote APY lands in central australia, about 100 km south of Uluru. Here it is on google maps - see how remote.. She was born circa 1952, so must be nearly 70 years old.  Superficially they look like vibrant, abstract works, but like most aboriginal art they have a hidden story, often representing an aerial view, with tracks, waterholes, meeting points and landmarks... At about $20,000 dollars australian for a large example they are beyond my range but that doesn't stop me collecting and enjoying pictures of the examples I have seen, mostly courtesy of Marshall arts 

I am no expert, and each picture tells a different story, but the target shaped objects are often waterholes or campsites, the curved banana shaped objects represent aerial view of a sitting person, often with a  spear and coolamon beside a waterhole. Here is a site that helps with interpretation of the symbolism of a picture. I just love the fact that there is a fourth dimension; a hidden story.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in China I saw an exhibition of modern aboriginal works of art and they blew me away. It is amazing to think what strong stories they have underlying them.

    ReplyDelete