Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Monday, February 7, 2011

Black holes

Been very much enjoying a blog called "wandering the dream space" which puts into words all sorts concepts that I find difficult to express verbally. The most recent post is about a photographic artist called Gary Fabian Miller who takes images of moving purity and spirituality (I have borrowed one, above right) without a camera.

I was reminded of an image by Louise Hearman (below right) which has always troubled me, in the sense  wanting to move on quickly and not linger and that, along with the contrast between the two I find interesting. What is it that is so frightening about the second one? That core of black emptiness, the decay at the rim? Something struggling to surface, long repressed from childhood?

Superficially similar pictures but quite different, and equally powerful emotions in response.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning my blog, this is a great post. I think the second one is so intimidating because it has the threat of drawing us in. This is a very interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete