Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy the visual and emotional impact of these examples of Australian art and ceramics as much as I do. Whilst many are under copyright I have attributed the source wherever possible (and I remember).

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Criss Canning revisited

Last year a really lovely painting by Criss Canning sold at Leonard Joel for A$19,200 with the buyers premium ( I work nearby on viewing day- fatal) Entitled "Iris and wallflowers 1983-1984." It combines some of my favorite things- colour, persimmons, flowers, a lovely arrangement and what looks like a Phillippa James jug in the foreground!  It renewed my desire to eventually buy and enjoy a very little one of my own.

Last week one popped up on Grays online via Deutscher and Hackett and I got excited-It was one that had twice before failed to sell at auction and I am not sure why except to say that is very small for $3500, only 24x16cm.



Then, just to confuse matters two small ones came up in the Leonard Joel sunday art sale of feb 27th; These were even tinier, about 12.5 x 23 cm and estimated at $800-1200; quite affordable. Both eventually sold just within the estimates, but not to me. I was convinced by my husband to wait and save for a larger one and by then the Grays online one had gone. I comforted myself with the thought I would buy a Gwen Watson possum, which i also missed out on!

One day, one day I will buy a Criss Canning, but meanwhile here are the ones that got away..




3 comments:

  1. fingers crossed for you for next time... they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there... there is a nice (and cheap) criss canning coming up at leanoard Joel saleroom 28 august!

    ReplyDelete